Great Skate #36: Giovanni Caboto Rink

Saturday, January 23 was sunny and cold, and I set out to add at least one new Great Skate to my rink. I travelled by bus, subway and streetcar to the Giovanni Caboto Rink on St. Clair Avenue West. It was late afternoon when I arrived, and by the time I left, the setting sun was making the skaters squint every time they turned westward.


The rink is on the edge of Earlscourt Park, and it has two ice surfaces: a shinny pad and a pleasures-skating rink. The facilities are functional, but not beautiful. There is an indoor changeroom with lockers.

Like all city rinks, there was a mix of ages and skating abilities on the ice. I overhead many of the phrases that can be heard at almost every rink:

Are your skates tight enough?
Careful!
Just try to stand up by yourself.
I can't remember the last time I did this.
Good job, you're skating really well.
Watch me try this.
I don't know how to stop.
I'm cold.
Do you need help with your laces?
Oh no, I'm falling!
I don't want to go home.
Is it time for hot chocolate yet?


Comments

Popular Great Skates

Great Skate #21 - Greenwood Park (renovated)

Great Skate #7 - Ryerson Community Park

Great Skate #34: Love Crescent Parkette

Great Skate #1 - Barbara Ann Scott Rink

Great Skate #33: Gage Park, Brampton